Monday, February 21, 2011

My relationship with Costco


Now that I coupon a lot of people ask me how Costco fits into the picture.  The truth is that I LOVE Costco.  It is one of the funnest stores to visit and they have some great deals.  But honestly, since I've started using coupons my visits to Costco have decreased significantly.  I probably go only about once a month compared to my previous near weekly visits.  The "great" deals I used to find there don't seem so great anymore.  Sure I can get my toothpaste for CHEAP at Costco but they aren't giving it to me for FREE.  And FREE always beats CHEAP.  We are lucky that my  husband's employer pays for our annual membership dues but even if they didn't I love Costco enough to keep our membership.  You will have to determine if it is worth keeping for yourself.

Why I will keep my Costco membership:
1.  Cheap gas! (though Fred Myer usually gets pretty close to Costco prices and often beats them)
2.  Great prices on books.
3.  Great deal on toys at Christmas time.
4.  Bigger ticket items can be found at very reasonable prices.
5.  Pizza, and other quick dinner items are tasty and easy to pick up in a pinch.
6.  It makes for a cheap date when you buy the $1.50 hot dog combo meal!

I will continue to buy a few things at Costco.  I like the price of the milk and the fact that it is hormone free.  There is a specific brand of bread we enjoy that I haven't found coupons for.  I like buying 24 eggs at a time.  Fruit and veggies can be a good price depending on the season. 

There are a few things like toilet paper that I will probably still get there.  I know I can find free TP but I guess I must be a bit of a snob since so far the deals I've found elsewhere on TP  is one ply or not a great quality.  Let's face it...I like to feel secure that the barrier between my loved ones and the area they are trying to clean is sufficient!  Sometimes I will buy chips there as the giant bags of Doritos and Pirates booty seem to be comparable to what I can find elsewhere.

There are things I won't ever need to buy at Costco again.  Things like deodorant, feminine hygiene products, medication (over the counter), toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, soaps, body wash, shampoo and hair care, snack items,  razors, diapers, wipes, facial tissue, contact lens solution, cheese, zip lock bags, cleaning products and so much more will never make my list again.  I can find name brand of these items for so much cheaper!! 

It may be time to reevaluate your relationship with Costco....but I think I'll hold onto mine for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment